Saturday, January 19, 2008

Jack of all Trades

I know my mom is dying to know how my first week of work went this week so I will share with everyone.

My morning starts off in the office with assisting Debbie and helping with Tardy's (starting Tuesday).

From there I head to a resource room for an hour and work with a group of 5th graders and 3rd graders on math skills.

Then I head back to the office to relieve Debbie for her break. Starting Tuesday after the break I will stay in the office and work on attendance. This past week I have been heading out for morning recess duty. Yeah, no more recess duty starting next week.

From there I get a 15 minute break and then I head pack to the resource room to help a student with reading for 30 minutes.

Back to the office to cover for Debbie during her lunch break. During this time I usually have to administer meds to a couple of noon time regulars. After her lunch I head out to Lunch Recess Duty for 45 minutes. When Recess Duty is over I get a 30 minute lunch.

After lunch I head to a 5th grade class to help during writing. I have discovered that I need to brush up on those skills. I can write for myself with a lot of proof reading but helping others that don't get it write is challenging. When done there I head out to do bus duty for the primary students who get out at 2:30. Most students walk home, ride their bikes home, get picked up by parents, and a handful ride the bus home.

When that is over I head to a 4th grade class and do spelling conferences with the students. From there I head back to the office for a short period and then back outside for Intermediate bus duty. They get out at 3:30. By the time I finish duty then I get to go home. This week however, I have been staying a little late to be trained on the computer programs that I will be using.

So that is my day in a nutshell. I enjoy the job but I can not wait to get back into the classroom teaching PE.

Best,
Carrie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't sound as if you are going to get bored. Every few minutes you get to do something different. Good luck on the P.E. position.

whatever_heather said...

It really sounds like fun! I hope you get back in the gym with the kids soon! How cool that the kids can ride thier bikes home. :)
Miss you guys!

Carrie Beauchamp said...

The job is going good. I am actually starting to recognize people when I am out and about. No longer are we strangers in town.

Come on PE job!